Thursday, February 21, 2008

September 12

Bethany and I arrived in Davao safe and sound yesterday afternoon. In a couple days I'll tell you more about our feelings upon returning home. We'll be back to updating the blog at least twice a week now, so be sure to check back often. Thanks to all of you who commented on our few posts during our vacation. Sorry we didn't write much, but there wasn't much to say. We had a great time in North America, and perhaps I'll tell you more about it later this week. But I've got something else on my mind tonight.

I joined Bethany for her ultrasound today. Awesome. I am so excited about being a Dad. My kid has a big brain. I can tell because its head is HUGE!!! The ultrasound dude says that everything looks good in there, and that the pregnancy is progressing nicely. I was amazed as I observed the whole thing. You can see so clearly. We watched as the baby was dancing about and doing little flips in Mommy's tummy. The doc said that our baby dances like Britney Spears. I thought that a rather rude thing to say, but I held my tongue.

I think that today I somehow gained further understanding of the "fear of God". I've often wondered about that concept. The paradox of loving Him and yet fearing Him all at once has often left me puzzled. Today I cried as I saw our little baby (only a couple of centimeters long) on the monitor. I was filled with joy and terror as I contemplated the change that is coming to our lives. I am so very excited, but I'm also extremely afraid. I don't know anything about babies. The responsibility of raising a child is incomprehensible. What have I gotten myself into?

Oh, but I love this little one already. I can't wait to welcome it into this world. I can't wait to hold it and sing to it and read it bedtime stories...and hand it to Bethany when it needs changing.

Thank you all for praying for us and our baby. Today felt like a really big deal. It was one of those "This is really happening" moments. This is happening, and it's super-fantastic-wicked-awesome-sweet. And a little scary. The due date is now officially September 12. Please continue to pray for Bethany. She is suffering from a bad cold and this week's traveling has left her pretty worn out. She'll be heading back to work on Monday, so please pray that the Lord gives her lots of energy.

I'll post again in two or three days. For now I'll leave you with the first official photos of my kid. I think it looks like me. Big head.

Peace out.
Tim.


12 comments:

Rebecca Lynn said...

PRAISE THE LORD! I am so, so happy for you. Bethany, I'll try skyping you soon, okay?
Much love,
R

Anonymous said...

Tim and Bethany,
I just wrote a comment and it didn't show up..so again I say..
I think she looks like Tim, big head and clinched fists...maybe if we could see her eyes...they would be crossed and she'd look like Bethany. Just kidding, but I too love her already and am very excited to see her in September. God is sooooo GOOOODDD!!!
Love you much and get well Bethany!
Mom

Anonymous said...

p.s.
Tim, you're going to be a great daddy.

Anonymous said...

We know it's a she? Congrats again you guys! Love and blessings all the way, N.

heather said...

That was my thought exactly - we know it'a she?! :)

I'm so glad you guys made it home safely. It was so great to spend a few brief hours with you guys on Saturday. It really blessed me; thanks for stopping by! I think Teddy really loved all the attention, too! :)

Love you all (all three of you, that is! :)

Heather

Bethany said...

No...we don't know it's a girl, but most people are speculating it is. Maybe it's because she's been said to dance like Britney Speares in utero. Tee hee.... a few more weeks and we'll know. :) Thanks for the blessings!

Anonymous said...

I know she's a she....grandmas always know....:)

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful to know that things are going well, that you have been able to see Babykins "dancing" and experience the awesomeness of God in His special creation-little people who grow to be lovers and servants of His! So excited for you and so glad to hear from you via the blog. As for "Grandmas always know", we all seem to think our grandbaby is a boy but are not totally sure-but we will know in less than four weeks hopefully. Sarah sure hopes so as she is HUGE! Praying for you, Dorothy H

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Glad you arrived home safely. Sad that we missed breakfast - not the food, but the company. Tried a great place in Steveston - maybe we can all go there some morning.

Thanks for sharing your lives with us. We also will be experiencing big changes in September.

Nice photos of the Baby.

You two are going to be great parents - full of love & life & fun!

Missing you both.

unklrbrt

Anonymous said...

Greetings from South Korea! Thanks for sharing Tim. We have been so blessed over the years you were foster parents, watching the wisdom God gave you both. You'll do great with your baby.
I hate to say it, but this grandma doesn't know if it is a girl or boy.
Tim your dad did his share of diapers, and i know you will too, even though you don't like ooky things. I can hear the loud comments now...peeuuuooo...
Missing you and praying for you,
Love Mum

Anonymous said...

I just looked at the picture again. I think baby is practising the piano in there. Very clever.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the first baby pictures...always a treat! Even though I have had two children now and have had many ultrasounds for both of them, I never cease to be amazed at the simple complexity(is that a word?) of the forming of a new life. I can hardly believe it possible that a whole entire person begins as a little embryo and all the cells, nerves, organs and systems develope and mature with very little help from us. God's magic is the greatest, isn't it? Boy or girl I know that you both will adapt to your knew role as parents and love it. Of course it's a little scary, it is for everyone! But you learn on the fly and they teach you as you go...I swear i've learned more from my kids already than I could ever teach them.
Remember to take it easy Bethany, your body will be speaking to you on a more regular basis now and believe me...it pays to listen!
Nicole