Sunday, April 20, 2008

Missing Tim, but keeping busy....

Greetings! Here's the latest delivery! This is baby Jaz Mea, her mama Len, and her papa Jeremie. This little girl was born yesterday at 1:59 pm...just before I began my shift! But because I went out with my dear friend, Ate An-An, I took a motorcycle to work so as not to be late and I ended up getting there with 32 minutes to spare before 2 pm! So Len was already feeling the urge to push and so her midwife, Jane, didn't want to stay long after her shift (she'd been there since 6 am), so she endorsed her pushing patient to me!

And I was blessed to be there....even though I had never met Len, she was gracious with me taking over during such a pivotal time in her labor and we actually had a few minutes to get passed introductions, get established with her chart, and find out how she was coping....in between contractions, she told me she had one little girl at home and she and her bana had been together for 11 years, but never had a chance to get married, yet....then she pushed...and pushed again....then rested and told me some more about herself....in between the "Ahhh...sakit!" In other words..."OUCH, PAIN!" She was great.

And her baby came without any problems. Healthy baby girl. And then she bled. Over 1600 ccs. Her hematocrit was low to begin with (severely anemic) so we all knew hemorrhage was possible. Then she got dizzy, so between oxytocin injections and IV insertion, she managed to hold her baby tightly, endure manual removal of her placenta, manual exploration of her uterus (OUCH!) and breastfeed! She did it. She's my hero.
So here she is in the postpartum bed resting from her labor...heavy labor...with her reward beside her. God is so good.

And I miss Tim. But he is doing fantastic. I get the occasional text message from him letting me know what he's up to in Dipolog and Butuan. So far he's been "told" to preach (the Filipinos love to throw that at him!) and he does....and apparently he does a great job! No doubt in my mind. God speaks with such authority through him, I am in awe of God's power within him. Then he and his papa took the area pastors to go pray for and heal the sick in Jesus' name....and they did! Then he was told to baptize! He's never done a baptism, but he loved it! Of course, he did text me just before saying, "Scared kaayo!" That's VERY SCARED, in case you didn't catch that! God sure likes to keep us humbled, eh!? Tee hee.

And then Cebu Pacific (the airline they were to ride from Dipolog to Butuan via Manila) gave them troubles and wouldn't let them ride their winged mode of transportation! And then wouldn't refund their money....so both Tim and his papa had to ride a bus ride from Dipolog to Butuan (not a short drive) in a hot, stinky, non-air con bus. Tee hee....again, I think God enjoys humbling us...he said they tried very hard not to breathe or laugh for fear of inhaling too much foul air. :) What a ride! They arrived in Butuan around 4 am....only to get up just a few short hour(s) later to preach, pray for the sick, help in the medical clinics, and extend the precious hand of Jesus.

I think God is preparing him (and us) for more of this kinda stuff...and not to sweat the small, insignificant things...like the change in transportation....not getting to eat....being thrown into situations where your level of trust in the Lord is put to the very edge....scary kaayo...but full of joy. Sounds like Tim is loving the journey.

As for me, I feel horribly jealous. I want to be where Tim is! :) And then our baby kicks and reminds me of my responsibility and the incredible blessing God has given me NOW. The other stuff will come later. And then another baby is born into my hands at Mercy and I am once again humbled by God's truly beautiful creation and gracious provision. And I am lost for words.

And I am seeing the Lord be my husband, my provider, and my covering in whole new ways in this time alone....rather, I should not say I am alone.....I am with the Lord and with the little swimmer inside...not alone.

Well, I will have Tim post as soon as he gets home with pictures and updates. For now, I will get these last four questions of this assignment done and I will head to another shift. Thank you for all your encouragement and prayers! Be blessed!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany, I can totally relate to your frustration at staying home and not being able to go where the 'action' is. Then I remember my two beautiful girls and how much they need me to be here with them. The other stuff will come later and i'm hangin' in there with you!! I'm so thrilled with the opportunities you have been given at Mercy to bless these women and their babies. Way to go girl! God Bless you and your little swimmer...soon you'll think the dear one is going to be a soccer player!

Love and hugs, Nicole

Anonymous said...

BETHANY,
So you feel you are not getting enough adventure doing what you are doing? What's up with that?
When the baby comes...there will be more adventure than you think you can handle! But you will. Enjoy every step of the journey you are on..it's a good one. I love the picture of you kneeling next to the bed..looks like you are praying for them. You are such a blessing :)
MOM

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
A am so thankful for your blog and being able to share your adventure. I miss you very much and today the distance is getting to me. I so wish Mom and I could be there to help make your load lighter. You and Tim are in our prayers constantly and so is your little swimmer. You are a Chosen Vessel of God for this time and this place. I love and admire you deeply. Dad

heather said...

Precious picture of you kneeling by the bed. It's like this beautiful, sacred, private moment that we get to catch a glimpse of. :) Stay healthy, dear friend. praying much for you and Timbo! I love you!

Heather

Anonymous said...

By now you have your sweetie home again. Thanks so much for loaning him to us. We really missed seeing you. Tim was a fantastic addition to the team. I'm so proud of the man he has become, and proud of you both for all that you are doing to give away God's mercy. I really cried when we said goodbye, but I'm so thankful we live in the era of jets and Skype! We're in Singapore enroute to Sydney, tired but happy with the awesome fruit of the last two weeks.
Lots of love, Mum

Anonymous said...

By now you have your sweetie home again. Thanks so much for loaning him to us. We really missed seeing you. Tim was a fantastic addition to the team. I'm so proud of the man he has become, and proud of you both for all that you are doing to give away God's mercy. I really cried when we said goodbye, but I'm so thankful we live in the era of jets and Skype! We're in Singapore enroute to Sydney, tired but happy with the awesome fruit of the last two weeks.
Lots of love, Mum