Friday, March 6, 2009

A precious moment missed.

Greetings! Thank you for all your prayers and encouragements these last few days. We are definitely feeling under fire.

Promise is still pretty sick, but she seemed to have more energy today, so that's a start. Praise God! My fever broke this morning, but not until after I missed a very special event that I had been looking forward to for months.

Remember Bel, my continuity? I delivered her baby in October of 2007...a little girl I got to name Precious. She chose me as her midwife for this pregnancy as well with her due date being March 25th. I received a text message at 3 am last night from the MMC birth room, "Your cont is here in labor, will you be able to come?" Normally, I would bounce out of bed and race to the birth room, but because of Promise and my terrible cough, I hesitated.

I quickly prayed that I didn't have a fever...it's policy that if you're sick with a fever, then you can't be in the birth room and I certainly did not want to pass on my junk to Bel and her new baby! Before answering the text, I took my temperature. crap. 100 degrees. crap.

So, I wrote back saying that it wasn't safe for me to deliver her baby and another fellow student delivered her baby instead.

I couldn't get back to sleep. Angry, frustrated, sad, disappointed, I went into the kitchen and prepared a meal, snacks and a gift for Bel and her new baby waiting for update text messages from the birth room. Tim came out once wondering what I was doing up and if I would soon be coming to bed...I just couldn't.

Around 6 am, I got a text...Healthy baby boy named Roberto Jr. Bel's first boy. She's got 4 girls at home! I cried. So excited for her. And maybe a bit of self-pity in there, too.

Promise woke up to feed full of mucous and a bit weepy. I felt the same. But grateful that Bel's baby came without any complications.

Later in the morning, Tim brought the meal, snacks and gift to her for me and her postpartum midwife, Medea, took some pictures for me. So here they are. I am so happy for her. :)

Tomorrow, Tim is headed to his first Filipino wedding for a friend from church while Promise and I stay home to continue recuperating. A huge blessing is that she is no longer throwing up while she eats because of her intense coughing, so she is able to keep stuff down now. :) She is so beautiful even when she doesn't feel well. Thank you again for all your prayers.
Be blessed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
I am so sorry that you were not able to deliver Bel's little boy. I am sure she understands and appreciates the gifts and food. Happy to hear Promise is doing a bit better too.
Love ya,
Mom