Sunday, August 12, 2007

Learning so much!



Greetings! I am actually writing this in the birth room...it's 2:10 am Monday morning here...the ladies have settled and are sleeping for the night. So far, we've had one birth! Another laboring woman named Micay (sounds like "Mee-Kie") just came in and I am sure we will see her baby in the next few hours, but for now, she is resting with her bana (hubby). We found out the coolest thing, too!....it is Micay's Birthday! She's gonna have her baby's birthday on HER birthday! Crazy! What a celebration today will be!

The birth we had this evening (my sixth attended birth at Mercy!) was a great learning experience. Jenny was my teacher and she is also a student here. Our supervisor was Ate Susan (pictured in previous posts) and another attending midwife was Laura, an intern from Utah.

Jenny, Laura and me got to work with Elizabeth as she pushed her BIG baby boy out. She had a difficult labor and after delivering beautiful Joshua at 10:56 pm, she bled quite a bit, needed some manual assistance in getting her placenta out, plus an IV, a catheter and some more drugs. She was so strong the entire time, wincing in pain as so many midwives were putting their limbs inside her to make sure she was okay. She continued to smile and even tried breastfeeding despite the difficulties. She is resting now and Joshua is doing great.

This was my first time charting the WHOLE entire event on my own, too! It was pretty special. AND THEN!!! I got to bathe the baby (hence the pictures). Joshua was a good sport as I got him nice and clean and Jenny did the baby checks while I charted the results. I had a GAS. Elizabeth was so great with letting me do the dirty work with her new son and her bana was all smiles. Even her mother came to celebrate! Jenny was gracious as I asked her TONS of questions and she explained every detail of the birth and aftermath with me. She made me feel comfortable and encouraged my progress.

Needless to say....I was blessed....and my shift isn't over for another four hours! Busy, but peaceful night. Praise Jesus for healthy babies and healthy moms. What a blessing.

Please continue to pray for us and don't forget to comment...it really blesses us!

------update! Micay's baby girl, Cheska, was born healthy and happy at 3:35 am Monday morning! Praise God and a happy birthday to her!------

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the first time I bathed Richard. It was scary, but you soon get used to it. Congratulations. You look as if you are really enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Wow Bethany, you look as if you were born to do this. You're an amazing woman and I really admire you for the sacrifices you have made to help these wonderful Filipinas! I pray for continued strength and grace for you. Be blessed.

For the Lord your God will bless you in ALL your harvest.
Deut. 15:16

Anonymous said...

Bethany,
Congratulations! You are doing what God has called you to, and you are doing it well. You do look so happy, and that makes me happy, and proud of you and grateful to God for His faithfulness. Yahoo!
Mom

heather said...

You DO look like a natural! :)

I love you!